Philipp Röth received his first, formative instruction at the school of applied art in his native Darmstadt from August Lucas (1803-1863), who transmitted to him his love of studying after nature. On one such excursion in 1859, Johann Wilhelm Schirmer (1807-1863) discovered the young artist. The famous landscape painter and gallery director in Karlsruhe recommended Röth to the school of art there, where he was admitted in the same year with a scholarship from Grand Duchess Mathilde of Hesse. Among his fellow students, Röth met Hans Thoma from the Black Forest (1839-1924), with whom he would have a life-long friendship. Another stage in Röth’s development was the continuation of his studies in Düsseldorf, where he lodged in the house of the painter Otto Rethel. At the city’s famous academy, he made the acquaintance of such emerging fellow painters as Caspar J. Scheuren, Ludwig Knaus, and the brothers Oswald and Andreas Achenbach.
In 1871, Röth married the daughter of his teacher Paul Weber (1823-1916) and responded to the call of the artistic metropolis of Munich, where he founded his first studio.
His success would justify this move, and in 1893 the family was able to afford the construction of a house with studio and garden in the new villa district of Gern, near the Nymphenburg canal. There he made this very private study with a view through the open veranda doors toward the garden gate of the house in the Böcklinstraße.